Pages

Welcome!

I want to thank you for choosing to check out my blog. I appreciate honest comments on what you think about my products. I welcome suggestions :)


Thursday, October 6, 2011

Trick or Treat

Just a little update on the Bake Sale competition. These are the top 5 for the moment:
1.Witch's Punch, special ingredient, Eyeballs
2.Abstract Witch Cupcake
3.Apple Cupcake
4.Witch's Cauldron
5.Wacky Jack-o-Lantern Cupcakes

And here we go with some more :)

As I have mentioned before, there was a Celtic festival called the Samhain (pronounced Sow-in). This marked the end of the summer and the beginning of the cold and dark winter, which many times meant the death of many people. Since the vail between the realm of the living and the dead was thin, the Celts believed that the ghosts of the dead returned to earth.
So they would share stories of the dead, ghosts, and mischief-making of all kinds. This moved on to the Americas, where people began to dress up in costumes and go from door to door asking for FOOD OR MONEY. Sounds familiar? Today it is known as Trick or Treat.
Trick or treating was a relatively inexpensive way for the whole community to celebrate Halloween. Another reason why families participated was because if you provided the neighborhood children with treats, you prevented pranks from being played on you.
Today, Americans spend an estimated $6.9 BILLION annually on Halloween, making it the second largest commercial holiday.

Since people shared stories of the dead, I came up with some "deadly" designs for my next part of the competition.

Mummy Cupcake
I figured since this is a "dead" cupcake, I would make it with Devil's Food and cover it with sugar paste strips. Dollops of red and black for eyes. Simple, yummy and spooky!

RIP Truffles
Simple: Nutella and Chocolate. I figured I could use Milano cookies as the tombstone, but I can't find any out here, so I would probably have to make the cookie. More challenging...I like:)

Tombstone Pudding
Dark Chocolate Pudding or even maybe mousse, topped with a homemade cookie-tombstone.

Pick Your Grave-Yard Cake
Chocolate goodiness with Oreo crumbs for dirt and maybe m&m's or smarties in green for the grass. The cookies well...I was thinking of either danish cookies that come in both square and round (they have sugar on them so I'd have to take it off to put the crosses and RIPs on) ooooor I can make the cookies myself for tombstones.

Skeleton Cookies
Dark Chocolate Cookies with Icing. A gingerbread people cookie cutter, but instead of cute, I will put icing-bones on there to make it look like a skeleton. To the best of my drawing capabilities. I mean...it doesn't have to be anatomy-checked!

Cool Skeleton Cupcakes
Chocolate Cupcake with a Marshmallow head and mini-marshmallow teeth and a chocolate hat. Easy! Oh and m&m's for eyes. I will have to get some edible glue!
Poisoned Cupcakes


Don't eat these!!! They're poisoned! With a Vanilla Cupcake and a black frosting. If I do this, I'm also making orange ones and green ones too. For variety.

Don't forget that I only come up with some of these. I google images most of the time and see many beautiful creations. Some I mix and match, others I use for inspiration and others I simply copy with my own recipes.

My history points I stole from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment